1. If you are driving to a neighborhood where street parking is hard to find, just park in the first spot you see within 10 blocks of your destination. Then walk.
2. Treat your phone like a landline. Leave it at home when you go out. Don't worry - it will be waiting for you when you come home. Alternative: Leave it in the car when you go out to dinner, social gatherings, etc. This way you can still use maps, be available for logistical texts, etc.
3. Use Boomerang for Gmail.
4. Don't lie about anything. People will respect you more. And it's just easier.
5. When in doubt about what to do next, go on a walk without your phone.
6. Smile at strangers.
7. Text or email one person every day and let them know A) you're thinking about them and just wanted to say hi, or B) something you appreciate about them, or even just C) Hi NAME - Happy Monday!
8. Chill out and let people merge in front of you on the roads. You're not in THAT big of a hurry.
9. Buy 10 pairs of your favorite underwear and throw away all the other pairs you don't love. For all the dudes reading this - these are my personal favorites.
10. Elevate your heart rate for at least 10 minutes each day.
11. When a houseless person asks you for money, whether or not you give them money is up to you, but at the very least look them in the eye and acknowledge their existence.
12. Each morning write down one thing, which if completed, would make you feel great about your day. It can be little or big, as long as it's achievable.
If you enjoyed this post, subscribe today and you will receive future posts straight to your inbox.
You might also be interested in these articles...
Peter Koehler's Writing Archive